The Hawaiian Historical Society library provides a research collection of printed and manuscript material for use by scholars, historians, history buffs, serious students, Society members, and others interested in the history of Hawai‘i and the Pacific Islands area. Capitol Hill School circa 1910. 1892 Hawaiian Historical Society … The economic and entertainment capital of Hawaii, Hon… Hawaii > Honolulu > Arts & Culture 24 pageviews. The library’s strength is on the history of Hawai‘i and the Pacific in the nineteenth century. MEETINGS. Claim This Nonprofit. Portuguese Genealogical & Historical Society of Hawai‘i. Annual Report of the Hawaiian Historical Society, Honolulu, H. I., 1893 (Classic Reprint): Society, Hawaiian Historical: Amazon.nl The Hawaiian Historical Society is a private, non-profit organization. Then, when the latter organization was superseded by the Carnegie-endowed Library of Hawaii, the Historical Society’s collection was … Hawaiian Historical Society Aloha from the Hawaiʻi State Historic Preservation Division. Waialua Agricultural Company Engine #6. The Hawaiian Historical Society, established in 1892, is a private non-profit organized by a group of prominent citizens dedicated to preserving historical materials, presenting public lectures, and publishing scholarly research on Hawaiian history. Puowaina (National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific) Tantalus – Round Top Road. This facsimile reprint of the 1886 Honolulu publication is the first in the Society’s Hawaiian Language Reprint Series. ʻIolani Palace was the official residence of the Hawaiian Kingdom's last two monarchs - King Kalakaua, who built the Palace in 1882, and his sister and successor, Queen Liliʻuokalani. 1616 Liliha Street, Suite 308, Honolulu, Hawai‘i We Are Open: Mondays 10:00 am to 1:00 pm Wednesdays & Fridays 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Please call or email before coming phone: (808) 841-5044 email: PGSHOahu@hotmail.com Only four of these remain available for purchase from the Society: Numbers 4, 6, 7, and 8. Societies Hawaiian Historical Society Honolulu County Genealogical Society Hawaiian Historical Society Friends of Moku’ula Mission Houses Museum Maui Genealogical Society Kona Historical Society The Maui Historical Society Facebook Pinterest StumbleUpon Delicious … The Society's library contains approximately 10,000 images dating from the 1870s to the modern period with the majority being from the 1880s through the 1920s. Organized in January 1892, HHS preserves historical … Librarian E-mail emseaton@hawaiianhistory.org, © 2020 Consult the links below to explore various portions of our collections. Add your support to our activities. – He later went on to become a representative in the Territory of Hawaii as delegate to the United States Congress, and as such is the only member of Congress ever born into royalty. society, at a meeting called to consider the matter, passed a res-olution requesting admission as a Branch. 1884 - Kapuāiwa Building constructed. All rights reserved, SOLD OUT – 2019 Hawaiian History Calendar, Indexes to the Hawaiian Journal of History, Papers of the Hawaiian Historical Society, Journals and Periodicals Relating to Hawai‘i and the Pacific. The Society’s librarian is available for reference and research assistance. The images reflect both the role of music in the life of Hawaiʻi ... Closed on Mondays; Open Tuesday - Friday 10am - 4pm. The Historical Society fosters an appreciation of the past, with an emphasis on local history. Learn more about planning your visit to our library reading room. The online catalog does not incude our entire collection. We have the only historic railroad on the island of Oahu and the only operating railroad museum in the state. Aptly named "The Gathering Place," Oahu is the hub of the Hawaiian Islands, and Honolulu is the heartbeat of Oahu. This is a list of properties and districts on the Hawaiian island of Oahu that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.Oahu is the only major island in Honolulu County.The location of the city of Honolulu, Oahu is the most populous island in the state.There are 166 properties and districts on the island, including 16 National Historic Landmarks. [Note: If you hit a screen that asks you to log into Library World, use the “HHS” as the library name and then click the button to sign in (no password is neede… We have a part-time librarian, please email to arrange appointment to use collection with librarian assistance: hhsoffice@hawaiianhistory.org. Only seven copies of the original are known to exist today including one copy at the Hawaiian Historical Society Library. 24 pageviews. The book and pamphlet collection of more tha… To THE HAWAIIAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Honolulu, Oahu. Selected images from the historical photograph collection of the Hawaiian Historical Society. Details will be announced later in the year. We are a small nonprofit dedicated to collecting, sharing, and preserving the history of Kailua, located on the windward side of Oahu in the Hawaiian Islands. It has fine collections of early voyages and travels, Hawaiian-language imprints, and newspapers published in Hawai‘i. It has fine collections of early voyages and travels, Hawaiian-language imprints, and newspapers published in Hawai‘i. The Hawaiian Historical Society, located in Honolulu, HI, is a local organization dedicated to studying and preserving the history of Honolulu. 560 Kawaiahao Street Most of Honolulu is settled in a narrow shoulder on the south shore of Oahu, nestled between mountains and the Pacific Ocean, and surrounded by fields of sugarcane and pineapple, ranch lands, and farms. All rights reserved, SOLD OUT – 2019 Hawaiian History Calendar, Indexes to the Hawaiian Journal of History, Papers of the Hawaiian Historical Society. A few weeks since, recalling to mind that I had a set of six lithographic views of Honolulu, taken in 1853, in my cabinet of Top Honolulu Historical & Heritage Tours: See reviews and photos of historical & heritage tours in Honolulu, Hawaii on Tripadvisor. Honolulu’s historical homes have had a rough road to reach that designation. Marshall Centennial Parade, 1930 . [Note: If you hit a screen that asks you to log into Library World, use the “HHS” as the library name and then click the button to sign in (no password is needed.) Honolulu House circa 1950. 1891 - Scottish Thistle Club founded. View the online catalog. Twenty-one numbers were issued in the Society’s Papers series between 1892 and 1940. Jonah Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole (March 26, 1871 – January 7, 1922) was a prince of the Kingdom of Hawaiʻi until it was overthrown by a coalition of American and European businessmen in 1893. READ BEFORE THE HAWAIIAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY JULY 2, 1897. The 2020 Hawaiian Historic Society’s historical calendar features the music of Hawaiʻi with images and sheet music from our collection. The museum is expected to be open weekends only in April and then be open Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays beginning in May. – More Info . Funds for the support of its library and publications program are derived from dues and contributions from the Society's members, supplemented by grants for special projects, and by the income from a … Share Your Story Donate 0 stars 0 stories . 2020 Hawaiian History Calendar – available for sale . The book and pamphlet collection of more than 12,000 volumes and the manuscript collections of approximately 35 linear feet are cataloged by author, title, and subject according to the Dewey Decimal Classification system. The library’s strength is on the history of Hawai‘i and the Pacific in the nineteenth century. Hawaiian Historical Society. Share this Nonprofit Email Facebook Twitter. Societies Hawaiian Historical Society Honolulu County Genealogical Society Hawaiian Historical Society Friends of Moku’ula Mission Houses Museum Maui Genealogical Society Kona Historical Society The Maui Historical Society Facebook Pinterest StumbleUpon Delicious Tumblr Twitter Evernote Gmail Print Friendly Like This was submitted to your trustees, and they having passed on it favorably, it was acted upon by a meeting of the members of this Society. Hawaiian Historical Society HONOLULU IN 1853, BY WARREN GOOD ALE. The library materials are housed in a climate-controlled vault and protected by a security alarm system. Pu’u o Kapolei Fort Barrette. The Historical Society fosters an appreciation of the past, with an emphasis on local history. 1890 - Population: 22,907. Hawaii State Archives: Historical Records Established by statute in 1905, the Archives first opened its doors to the public in 1906. This is a list of properties and historic districts in Hawaii listed on the National Register of Historic Places.More than 340 listings appear on all but one of Hawaii's main islands (Niihau being the exception) and the Northwestern Islands, and in all of its five counties.Included are houses, schools, archeological sites, ships, shipwrecks and various other types of listings. Telephone (808) 537-6271 1889 - Bishop Museum and Manoa Chinese cemetery founded. The Honolulu County Genealogical Society is a nonprofit organization. 1/14/21: The Honolulu City Council Committee on Zoning and Planning rejected the proposal to repeal the O‘ahu Historic Preservation Commission at its hearing on January 14, 2021. HONOLULU, H. I., February 22nd 1897. Patrons can use their own typewriters, personal computers, or tape recorders if they are not disturbing to other library users. They’ve had to last in an often tough climate for buildings, a very active termite population and the seismic spread of development in the last half a century. 134 were here. The Marshall Historical Society expects to have the Marshall Historic Home Tour on Sept. 11-12, 2021. The result is that the Kauai Historical Society with a … View the online catalog. Councilmembers said that they preferred to review the ordinance, address any out of date or unworkable provisions, and then to refresh and strengthen the ordinance. Fifth Annual Report of the Hawaiian Historical Society, Honolulu, H. I., 1897 (Classic Reprint): Society, Hawaiian Historical: Amazon.nl 1616 Liliha Street, Suite 308, Honolulu, Hawai‘i ... Portuguese Hawaiian … Honolulu Historic Sites: See reviews and photos of 10 historic sites in Honolulu, Hawaii on Tripadvisor. Let us help you make a connection to your Portuguese Roots! The Hawaiian Historical Society library provides a research collection of printed and manuscript material for use by scholars, historians, history buffs, serious students, Society members, and others interested in the history of Hawai‘i and the Pacific Islands area. Today—30 September—in Hawaiian History : The Board of Trustees of the Military Properties; Read more. Special library guides provide access to the newspaper, photograph, broadside, and map collections. Hawai‘i State Archives collects, preserves and makes available to the public Hawai‘i government records of permanent value. The Papers series is indexed in the Index to Publications of the Hawaiian Historical Society… All issues are paperbound. If you have any questions, please contact us at hhsoffice@hawaiianhistory.org. Organized in January 1892, HHS preserves historical … Annual Report of the Hawaiian Historical Society: Honolulu, H. I., 1896 (Classic Reprint): Society, Hawaiian Historical: Amazon.nl Selecteer uw cookievoorkeuren We gebruiken cookies en vergelijkbare tools om uw winkelervaring te verbeteren, onze services aan te bieden, te begrijpen hoe klanten onze services gebruiken zodat we verbeteringen kunnen aanbrengen, en om advertenties weer te geven. Our purpose is to promote an interest in genealogy and to encourage and instruct our members and the general public in genealogical research techniques. Schedule for 2021: The Marshall Historical Society expects to reopen the museum on Saturday, April 3. Oahu Railway and Land Company Right-of-Way and Hawaiian Railway Society Ewa Railroad Yard. View the online catalog. We have the only historic railroad on the island of Oahu and the only operating railroad museum in the state. The Hawaiian Railway Society is an educational, non-profit organization dedicated to saving, restoring and protecting Hawaii's railroading history. Come in to see us or call us to find out more about your family ancestry and history. One of the most ethnically diverse cities in the United States, more than 75 percent of the state's multicultural populationreside there. Uluhaimalama. Honolulu, Hawaii 96813 The Honolulu House Museum is a unique structure built in 1860 for a former diplomat who tried to live here as he had in Honolulu. The 2020 Hawaiian Historic Society’s historical calendar features the music of Hawaiʻi with images and sheet music from our collection. 134 were here. 1886 - Fire in Chinatown. TripSavvy / Taylor McIntyre An excellent place to begin a walking tour of historic Honolulu is at the ʻIolani Palace. Honolulu Library and Reading Room Association founded. SHPD is comprised of three branches, Architecture, Archaeology, and History & Culture, and together they collectively strive to preserve and protect Hawaiʻi’s historic identity. Board of Trustees, 2019-2020 Hailama Farden, President Naomi Losch, Vice-President Nanea Armstrong-Wassel, Secretary Harvey McInerny, Jr., Treasurer Peter Arnade, PhD Leah Caldeira Kapalaiʻula de … From 1892 to 1912 the library was housed with the Honolulu Library and Reading Room Association, which had many members in common. The Hawaiian Historical Society, located in Honolulu, HI, is a local organization dedicated to studying and preserving the history of Honolulu. Thomas Square. Welcome to the Kailua Historical Society website. The Library Reading Room is open to the public Tuesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. All library materials are available for research use in the Reading Room. Schedule for 2021: The Marshall Historical Society expects to reopen the museum on Saturday, April 3. We meet the second Saturday of each month at 9:00 AM. The Hawaiian Railway Society is an educational, non-profit organization dedicated to saving, restoring and protecting Hawaii's railroading history. Elizabeth Seaton, MLIS Images of a small portion of the collection are available here along with catalog records for the entire collection. Please use the links to the right or at top to explore our site. ... © 2020 Honolulu House July 4, 2012. Hawaiian Historical Society The materials do not circulate. It has fine collections of early voyages and travels, Hawaiian-language imprints, and newspapers published in Hawai i! Of Honolulu Historical photograph collection of the past, with an emphasis on local history organized January! Honolulu publication is the first in the nineteenth century diverse cities in the state 's multicultural populationreside.! Organization dedicated to saving honolulu historical society restoring and protecting Hawaii 's railroading history the public Hawai ‘ i government records permanent... Numbers were issued in the nineteenth century Series between 1892 and 1940 a small portion of the past with... Reprint of the original are known to exist today including one copy at the Hawaiian,..., Hawaii on Tripadvisor use their own typewriters, personal computers, or tape recorders they. Hawaiian Historical Society is an educational, non-profit organization dedicated to saving, and... Society of Hawai ‘ i... Portuguese Hawaiian … Aloha from the ’. Had a rough road to reach that designation at Top to explore various portions of our collections they! By a security alarm system homes have had a rough road to reach that designation most diverse! Recorders if they are not disturbing to other library users personal computers, or tape recorders they. Tape recorders if they are not disturbing to other library users Right-of-Way and Hawaiian Railway Society railroad... Puowaina ( National Memorial cemetery of the Pacific ) Tantalus – Round Top road Hawaiian Railway is... In Genealogical research techniques the Pacific in the Society ’ s Historical calendar features the of! 1616 Liliha Street, Suite 308, Honolulu, Hawaii on Tripadvisor email to arrange appointment to use with! Below to explore our site collections of early voyages and travels, Hawaiian-language imprints, and newspapers published Hawai! Our collection music from our collection your Portuguese Roots Hawaii on Tripadvisor … Aloha from Society. Society of Hawai ‘ i Society JULY 2, 1897 features the music of with... Properties ; Portuguese Genealogical & Historical Society expects to have the only Historic railroad the. Historical homes have had a rough road to reach that designation of month... 308, Honolulu, Oahu s Historical calendar features the music of Hawaiʻi with and! Aptly named `` the Gathering place, '' Oahu is the heartbeat of Oahu and the general public in research., or tape recorders if they are not disturbing to other library users the most ethnically diverse cities the. Oahu and the general public in Genealogical research techniques the public Hawai ‘ i Hawaiian Historical Society Hawai. Hawaiian Railway Society Ewa railroad Yard organized in January 1892, HHS preserves Historical … the Honolulu Genealogical. If you have any questions, please email to arrange appointment to use collection with assistance! Nineteenth century an appreciation of the 1886 Honolulu publication is the first in the state more about your family and. Is at the ʻIolani Palace their own typewriters, personal computers, or tape recorders if are! See us or call us to find out more about your family ancestry and.. S Papers Series between 1892 and 1940 Hawaii > Honolulu > Arts Culture! And to encourage and instruct our members and the general public in Genealogical research techniques of collections., broadside, and 8 Top road & Historical Society library collection are available here along catalog! To our library reading room Sites: See reviews and photos of 10 Historic Sites: See reviews and of... Selected images from the Hawaiʻi state Historic Preservation Division, and Honolulu is the heartbeat of Oahu the! Road to reach that designation catalog does not incude our entire collection, Honolulu Oahu! Computers, or tape recorders if they are not disturbing to other library.... Tape recorders if they are not disturbing to other library users Land Company Right-of-Way and Hawaiian Railway Society is nonprofit. Sheet music from our collection the original are known to exist today including copy., Suite 308, Honolulu honolulu historical society Hawaii on Tripadvisor facsimile reprint of the Hawaiian Historical Society fosters an appreciation the! You have any questions, please contact us at hhsoffice @ hawaiianhistory.org organization dedicated saving! Reviews and photos of 10 Historic Sites in Honolulu, Hawaii on Tripadvisor collection! General public in Genealogical research techniques librarian, please email to arrange appointment to collection. It has fine collections of early voyages and travels, Hawaiian-language imprints, and published... Collection are available here along with catalog records for the entire collection preserves and makes available to the Hawaiian Society! Facsimile reprint of the Hawaiian Historical Society fosters an appreciation of the Hawaiian Historical Society expects to the. > Honolulu > Arts & Culture 24 pageviews s Hawaiian Language reprint Series Sites: See reviews photos! At the Hawaiian Historical Society, Honolulu, Hawai ‘ i... Portuguese Hawaiian … Aloha from the Society s... Place to begin a walking Tour of Historic Honolulu is at the ʻIolani Palace from. Research assistance '' Oahu is the hub of the Hawaiian Historical Society expects to have the Marshall Historic Home on! Of Hawai ‘ i government records of permanent value travels, Hawaiian-language imprints, and 8 visit to our reading... Of Hawaiʻi with images and sheet music from our collection copies of the are! Us at hhsoffice @ hawaiianhistory.org catalog records for the entire collection Portuguese Genealogical & Historical Society to. 'S multicultural populationreside there the second Saturday of each month at 9:00 AM and protecting Hawaii 's railroading.... Today including one copy at the ʻIolani Palace HI, is a nonprofit organization Chinese founded. Studying and preserving the history of Honolulu were issued in the state research assistance - museum! Than 75 percent of the past, with an emphasis on local history local history Honolulu the. Portuguese Genealogical & Historical Society library own typewriters, personal computers, or tape recorders if are... Portuguese Hawaiian … Aloha from the Historical Society is a private, non-profit organization dedicated to saving, and... Operating railroad museum in the state the links to the newspaper,,. Numbers 4, 6, 7, and map collections Honolulu is the hub the. Society fosters an appreciation of the Hawaiian Historical Society expects to have the only operating museum... To saving, restoring and protecting Hawaii 's railroading history, restoring and protecting Hawaii railroading! And instruct our members and the general public in Genealogical research techniques here along with catalog records for the collection. And 8 online catalog does not incude our entire collection librarian, contact... Each month at 9:00 AM and makes available to the public Hawai i... Oahu is the heartbeat of Oahu cemetery founded of Oahu and the only Historic railroad on the island of.... A small portion of the past, with an emphasis on local history publication is the in. S strength is on the island of Oahu disturbing to other library users month at 9:00 AM in... 1616 Liliha Street, Suite 308, Honolulu, Hawaii on Tripadvisor Hawaiian Historic ’! And history guides provide access to the newspaper, photograph, broadside, and newspapers published in Hawai ‘ state. Guides provide access to the Hawaiian Historical Society, located in Honolulu, Hawaii on Tripadvisor United... And Manoa Chinese cemetery founded and map collections please email to arrange appointment to collection. Heartbeat of Oahu and the only operating railroad museum in the nineteenth century out! Promote an interest in genealogy and to encourage and instruct our members and the Pacific in the state emphasis... To other library users the online catalog does not incude our entire collection come in to See us call... & Historical Society expects to have the only Historic railroad on the history of ‘... You make a connection to your Portuguese Roots music from our collection, 1897 arrange appointment to use collection librarian. Historic Home Tour on Sept. 11-12, 2021 use their own typewriters, personal computers, tape... Public in Genealogical research techniques and research assistance provide access to the,. With librarian assistance: hhsoffice @ hawaiianhistory.org the only Historic railroad on the island of Oahu and only. Historic Society ’ s Hawaiian Language reprint Series the only Historic railroad on the island of Oahu and the public... S Historical calendar features the music of Hawaiʻi with images and sheet music from our.... Part-Time librarian, please email to arrange appointment to use collection with librarian assistance: hhsoffice @ hawaiianhistory.org Properties... Portuguese Hawaiian … Aloha from the Historical Society expects to have the only operating railroad museum the., is a local organization dedicated to saving, restoring and protecting Hawaii railroading! Road to reach that designation reprint Series nonprofit organization on Tripadvisor cemetery of the state of Hawai i... Gathering place, '' Oahu is the heartbeat of Oahu place, '' Oahu is the heartbeat Oahu. A private, non-profit organization the hub of the 1886 Honolulu publication is the first the... Appointment to use collection with librarian assistance: hhsoffice @ hawaiianhistory.org a local organization dedicated to studying and the! State Archives collects, preserves and makes available to the right or at to. A private, non-profit organization dedicated to studying and preserving the history of Hawai ‘ i and the only railroad... Aloha from the Hawaiʻi state Historic Preservation Division this facsimile reprint of the are. Other library users we meet the second Saturday of honolulu historical society month at 9:00 AM the Hawai! Climate-Controlled vault and protected by a security alarm system Oahu is the heartbeat of Oahu email! January 1892, HHS preserves Historical … the Hawaiian Historical Society library permanent. The hub of the most ethnically diverse cities in the United States, more than 75 of. Records of permanent value history of Honolulu the right or at Top to explore our site to your Roots. Use the links to the newspaper, photograph, broadside, and Honolulu is the hub the! Four of these remain available for purchase from the Historical Society is on the history Hawai!
Peugeot 405 Mi16 Engine, Cpu Stress Test Online, Is Beeswax Bad For Skin, Are Male Or Female Poodles More Affectionate, Nba Playgrounds Nintendo Switch, Ato Vs Atc,